Are you thinking of buying a remote control extender but need help deciding which is the best one for your particular circumstances? If the answer is “yes” then you’re in the right place. In this article we’ll tell you everything you need to know to choose the best remote control extender for your particular circumstances.
Step 1: Decide what you want your remote control extender to do
When choosing a remote control extender the first thing you need to do is to be absolutely clear what you want it do in terms of your specific situation. For example:
- You may want to control a small audio-visual device (I’m thinking of something like an Apple TV) which is hidden behind a flat-screen television which is mounted on a wall .
- You may want to control audio-visual equipment which is hidden behind a cupboard door (where it is easy for you to point your remote control at the cupboard).
- You may want to control audio-visual equipment which is hidden behind a cupboard door (where it isn’t easy for you to point your remote control at the cupboard – possibly because the cupboard is behind you or even in a different room).
- You may want to control audio-visual equipment which is in a different room from where you watch and/or listen to it.
Some remote control extenders can be used in any of the above situations, whereas others are really only suitable for more specific applications.
If you can easily point your remote control at the cupboard that contains your audio-visual equipment then you have the choice of the widest range of remote control extenders. Other than cost, your primary considerations are likely to be around aesthetics and the number of devices you want to control.
If you can’t easily point your remote control at the cupboard that contains your audio-visual equipment then you should look at products which allow for separation of the infra-red receiver from the other elements. You can achieve this separation either by installing a cable between your cupboard and somewhere where you can easily point your remote control, or by using a ‘wireless’ solution.
If you need to be able to control your audio-visual equipment from a different room then you need to choose a remote control extender which allows for separation of the infra-red receiver from the other elements. You can achieve this separation either by installing a cable between each room and the equipment you want to control, or by using a ‘wireless’ solution.
Step 2: Decide how many (and what type of) infra-red emitters you require
The number, and type, of infra-red emitters that can be accommodated by a particular remote control extender dictates how many audio-visual devices it can control.
A ‘spot’ emitter can control one audio-visual device and a ‘blaster’ emitter can control as many devices as are within its range and line-of-sight. Depending on the number of devices you want to control you need to choose a remote control extender with enough emitters.
Using one or more ‘spot’ emitters means that you have to find the location of the infra-red receiver on each of your audio-visual devices. This is usually straight-forward but some devices (Sky boxes in particular) can require quite a bit of trial and error as the infra-red receiver is not easy to identify.
Using one or more ‘blaster’ emitters means that you do not have to find the location of the infra-red receiver on each of your audio-visual devices, you can simply place the emitter in front of your equipment and it will control everything within its range and line-of-sight.
Step 3: Decide how visible you want your remote control extender setup to be
Some (usually lower cost) remote control extenders build their infra-red receiver into their electronics module. This means that the electronics module has to be situated somewhere you can see it so that you can point a remote control at it.
Some remote control extenders have a separate infra-red receiver which connects to their electronics module via a cable. This means that the electronics module can be located somewhere out of sight and only the infra-red receiver itself has to be visible.
Step 4: Decide whether you need to be able to control your audio-visual equipment from more than one room
If you need to be able to control your audio-visual equipment from more than one room then you need to choose a remote control extender set which allows multiple infra-red receivers to be connected.
Step 5: Decide how you want to power your remote control extender
Many remote control extenders are supplied with mains power adapters, but some can be powered from an available USB port (or a USB power adapter) or via batteries.
Step 6: Decide whether you want a wired or wireless solution
If you choose a wireless remote control extender solution then be aware that the signals can extend beyond the walls and ceilings of your property. This isn’t really a problem if the nearest property to yours is a few metres away but it can be a problem if you live in a flat, a semi-detached house or a terraced house. In these cases, if your neighbour has the same remote control extender set as you and is using it to control the same devices as you then there is a fighting chance you’re going to end up controlling each other’s kit! For that reason, you might prefer to choose a wired solution if you share walls and/or floors/ceilings with a neighbour.
Bestselling remote control extenders
- An ideal solution for those who want to conceal their A/V components equipment inside a entertainment system cabinet or closet for a clean, stylish look
- IR Repeater system allows you to Control home theater components located behind cabinet doors
- Included with the system is - IR Receiver (2 inches by 1/2 Inch); Hidden IR Repeater Controller (3 1/2 Inches by 2 Inches); 2 dual IR emitters blaster
- Convenient IR confirmation LED with dual frequency to support infrared signals from a wider range of IR remote control such as cable box setup box STB; Support up to six emitter output connections
- Additional IR emitter blaster available for purchase at ASIN: B017LQAKXW; If you need to extend the IR blaster emitter cable, you can use a 3.5mm stereo audio extension cable and a 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter at one end and a 3.5mm to 2.5mm adapter at the other end
- Allows IR remote control of up to 6 AV devices even behind closed cabinet doors.
- Use your existing remote control. Simple set-up. Instructions included. Optimised for most European Digital TV and AV equipment ( eg: Sky HD )
- Only one small IR receiver need be visible on or near the TV to control all devices. 3 port version also available.
- USB powered *** USB cable included *** (Connect to USB port on your AV recever / Bluray etc)
- Package includes: 1 x IR control hub / 6 x IR Blaster probes / 1 x IR Receiver Probe / 1 x USB power cable / 1 x Instructions (English) *** Neet specialist customer support. Lifetime warranty / no fuss returns ***
- The power supply of this product is British standard, please rest assured to buy.
- This Infrared Repeater Cable applies to all remote control devices from 38 to 56 khz
- IR Repeater Extension controls Audio Video Components in Entertainment Cabinets or Equipment Closets using Existing IR Remote Controls
- Come with adhesive backing sticks directly onto different devices
- 1 Receiver, 1 Emitter, Connects to USB port on TV or home theater device for power
- Total Length: 3 feet - 1 meter
- Ex-Pro IR Infrared Sender / Receiver Magic Eye Remote Kit for HDMI Extenders / Matrix systems, Kit replaces IR in and IR Out.
- Sender & Receiver unit for IR Remote control's for HDMI Extenders / Matrix systems using IR over CAT Send [3.5mm In/out] [Check your original unit for compatibility this the 3.5mm Jack shouold have 2 black rings exactly as per our image].
- Picks up TV IR Input for sender TX boxes - and IR Output at the RX end of the receiver. Works with most HDMI Extender over CAT Cable which use this feature, Ex-Pro brand and others.
- Sticky pad included to adhere to surfaces at each end .
- Length appx 30cm. 3.5mm Jack [both ends].
- 【IR Repeater with 1 Receiver 8 Emitters】Kit Controls up to 8 Devices, Convenient for You to Control the Different Devices Which in Different Place at the Same Time
- 【Remote Control Distance up to 10m】Extend Signal up to 10m, The Length of the Receiver Cable: 1.5m, The Length of the Emitters Cable: 3m, It Can Control the TV out the Cupboard DirectlyWhen you Put Them in the Cupboard
- 【Support 36kHz to 58kHz】Working Frequency: 36kHz to 58kHz, Compatible with Most Audio and Video Devices on the Market
- 【Metal Casing Design】Metal Box Repeater Enhanced the Signal, Overall Shielding without Signal Interference, Metal Shell Prevents Collision, Make it More Durable
- 【Plug and Play, Wide Application】No Need to Install Extra Programs, Simple and Convenient for You to Achieve Remote Control, Suitable for Satellite Receiver, DVD, IPTV, Karaoke, Hotel/Set-Top Box Hidden Installation Bath Center and Home
- UNLIMITED NUMBER OF DEVICES - With the Invisible Control 6 XTRA you are able to operate an unlimited number of devices inside 1 or 2 compartments of your (TV) cabinet.
- MAKE YOUR TV COMPONENTS INVISIBLE - With the exception of the tiny infrared receiver, the Invisible Control 6 XTRA enables you to place your TV components completely out of sight.
- PLUG & PLAY - Very simple and quick installation through innovative infrared technology. Place the IR blaster LED anywhere you want inside the (TV) cabinet and you can operate all audio visual devices in this compartment.
- BROAD COMPATIBILITY - Works with virtually all brands and models and is suitable for new infrared code formats (such as RC-MM), which are used in many new HD devices and digital TV decoders.
- COMPATIBLE WITH SKY - Compatible with all digital TV providers in Europe, like BT Vision, Freesat, Freeview, Sky TV, Sky+, Sky HD and Virgin
- [Infrared Remote Extender Cable] Extends the Signal to Your Video Source, Hidden IR Repeater 1 Receiver 4 Emitters Infrared Remote Control Kit Control Your TV or Player, Like Adjusting the Volume.
- [IR Extender Kit] This IR Repeater System Kit Allow You to Control Your Home Theater Device/Components Which Are Kept Behind Closet Doors or in a Closed Cabinet.
- [1 Receiver 4 Emitters] Receiver: with a Convenient IR Confirmation LED and Pick up the Signal from the Remote Controller; Emitter: Send the Signal to the A/ V Components
- [Broad Compatibility] Be Compatible with Amplifier, Cable Box, Stereo Receiver, Satellite TV Receiver, CD Player, DVD Player, Blu-ray Player or Any Other Components Which Is Controlled by IR Signal.
- [Detail Information] 5V USB AC Power Supply; 34- 60 kHz Operating Range; Cable length: 2m (Power cord length) 2m (Black and white line length) 1m (Launch line length). 18 Months Warranty Provided.
- CONTROL UP TO 4 AV DEVICES: The One For All remote control extender is the perfect solution for controlling your infrared AV devices inside a closed cabinet.
- TIDY LOOK: Its clever design features a smart cable management system. Give your living room a tidy look with all your devices out of sight.
- PLUG & PLAY: Simple to set-up and use, instructions included.
- USB POWERED: No extra Power Plug needed, just connect to your AV Equipment.
- DISCOVER ONE FOR ALL: We are the specialist in Audio-Video accessories with more than 20 years of experience.
- IR REMOTE CONTROL cable extends the signal to a video source like a Blu-ray player so it can be controlled from your TV; Red LED in IR Receiver bulb verifies the signal transmission
- HOME THEATER ACCESSORY repeats the IR signal to a DVD player, STB box, Receiver or other A/V source with an IR sensor; Route the infrared remote control extender cable out of sight with a wall mounted TV; Install the IR Transmitter end in a concealed equipment closet to hide a CATV box and control it remotely
- SIMPLE INSTALLATION of this lightweight IR cable; Locate the IR Blaster near the source sensor to repeat the signal to the source; Place the IR Receiver in a convenient location with line of sight of your hand-held remote; IR Tx and Rx cables have adhesive circles on the back for mounting
- USB POWERED IR extension cable has an integrated 6 foot Y-cable to receive 5V USB power; USB cable on the IR remote extender cable connects to a TV USB power port or to a USB wall charger
- UNIVERSAL COMPATIBILITY of IR extender cable with most A/V equipment with infrared sensors (not RF); 30 degree IR Receiver angle provides plenty of leeway to get the right angle with your remote
Last update on 3 November 2021 - 11:37. Product price & availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price & availability information displayed on the Amazon.co.uk website at the time of purchase will apply.