Are you thinking of buying a remote control extender but need help deciding which is the best one for your particular circumstances? If the answer is “yes” then you’re in the right place. In this article we’ll tell you everything you need to know to choose the best remote control extender for your particular circumstances.
Step 1: Decide what you want your remote control extender to do
When choosing a remote control extender the first thing you need to do is to be absolutely clear what you want it do in terms of your specific situation. For example:
- You may want to control a small audio-visual device (I’m thinking of something like an Apple TV) which is hidden behind a flat-screen television which is mounted on a wall .
- You may want to control audio-visual equipment which is hidden behind a cupboard door (where it is easy for you to point your remote control at the cupboard).
- You may want to control audio-visual equipment which is hidden behind a cupboard door (where it isn’t easy for you to point your remote control at the cupboard – possibly because the cupboard is behind you or even in a different room).
- You may want to control audio-visual equipment which is in a different room from where you watch and/or listen to it.
Some remote control extenders can be used in any of the above situations, whereas others are really only suitable for more specific applications.
If you can easily point your remote control at the cupboard that contains your audio-visual equipment then you have the choice of the widest range of remote control extenders. Other than cost, your primary considerations are likely to be around aesthetics and the number of devices you want to control.
If you can’t easily point your remote control at the cupboard that contains your audio-visual equipment then you should look at products which allow for separation of the infra-red receiver from the other elements. You can achieve this separation either by installing a cable between your cupboard and somewhere where you can easily point your remote control, or by using a ‘wireless’ solution.
If you need to be able to control your audio-visual equipment from a different room then you need to choose a remote control extender which allows for separation of the infra-red receiver from the other elements. You can achieve this separation either by installing a cable between each room and the equipment you want to control, or by using a ‘wireless’ solution.
Step 2: Decide how many (and what type of) infra-red emitters you require
The number, and type, of infra-red emitters that can be accommodated by a particular remote control extender dictates how many audio-visual devices it can control.
A ‘spot’ emitter can control one audio-visual device and a ‘blaster’ emitter can control as many devices as are within its range and line-of-sight. Depending on the number of devices you want to control you need to choose a remote control extender with enough emitters.
Using one or more ‘spot’ emitters means that you have to find the location of the infra-red receiver on each of your audio-visual devices. This is usually straight-forward but some devices (Sky boxes in particular) can require quite a bit of trial and error as the infra-red receiver is not easy to identify.
Using one or more ‘blaster’ emitters means that you do not have to find the location of the infra-red receiver on each of your audio-visual devices, you can simply place the emitter in front of your equipment and it will control everything within its range and line-of-sight.
Step 3: Decide how visible you want your remote control extender setup to be
Some (usually lower cost) remote control extenders build their infra-red receiver into their electronics module. This means that the electronics module has to be situated somewhere you can see it so that you can point a remote control at it.
Some remote control extenders have a separate infra-red receiver which connects to their electronics module via a cable. This means that the electronics module can be located somewhere out of sight and only the infra-red receiver itself has to be visible.
Step 4: Decide whether you need to be able to control your audio-visual equipment from more than one room
If you need to be able to control your audio-visual equipment from more than one room then you need to choose a remote control extender set which allows multiple infra-red receivers to be connected.
Step 5: Decide how you want to power your remote control extender
Many remote control extenders are supplied with mains power adapters, but some can be powered from an available USB port (or a USB power adapter) or via batteries.
Step 6: Decide whether you want a wired or wireless solution
If you choose a wireless remote control extender solution then be aware that the signals can extend beyond the walls and ceilings of your property. This isn’t really a problem if the nearest property to yours is a few metres away but it can be a problem if you live in a flat, a semi-detached house or a terraced house. In these cases, if your neighbour has the same remote control extender set as you and is using it to control the same devices as you then there is a fighting chance you’re going to end up controlling each other’s kit! For that reason, you might prefer to choose a wired solution if you share walls and/or floors/ceilings with a neighbour.
Bestselling remote control extenders
- Applies to all remote control devices
- How to instal: 1. use the double-sided adhesive to stick the receiver in a convenient location. 2 stick the infrared emission head to the device you want to control
- Cable Length From USB To Receiver: Approx. 137cm/ 53.94"; Cable Length From Receiver To Emitter: Approx. 198cm/ 77.95"
- The Way To Get Power: Home Appliance USB or 5V Power Supply
- Material: Cable+Plastic
- [Infrared Remote Extender Cable] Extends the Signal to Your Video Source, Hidden IR Repeater 1 Receiver 4 Emitters Infrared Remote Control Kit Control Your TV or Player, Like Adjusting the Volume.
- [IR Extender Kit] This IR Repeater System Kit Allow You to Control Your Home Theater Device/Components Which Are Kept Behind Closet Doors or in a Closed Cabinet.
- [1 Receiver 4 Emitters] Receiver: with a Convenient IR Confirmation LED and Pick up the Signal from the Remote Controller; Emitter: Send the Signal to the A/ V Components
- [Broad Compatibility] Be Compatible with Amplifier, Cable Box, Stereo Receiver, Satellite TV Receiver, CD Player, DVD Player, Blu-ray Player or Any Other Components Which Is Controlled by IR Signal.
- [Detail Information] 5V USB AC Power Supply; 34- 60 kHz Operating Range; Cable length: 2m (Power cord length) 2m (Black and white line length) 1m (Launch line length). 18 Months Warranty Provided.
- Passes IR communication: Used with an IR Repeater kit to control a device; Extend remote control ability to any room in the house
- For use with infrared extender extension system, Xbox One, IR Connecting Blocks and Home Automation controllers
- Compatible with devices in 38khz - black
- Comes with adhesive backing sticks directly onto different devices
- Overall length: 10 feet (3 meter)
- Control your device Hidden in a Closet or Cupboard from the comfy spot on your couch.
- Easy installation, simple operation. No external power supply.
- IR extend distance is up to 25m (Depends on the quality and length of the HDMI cable).
- Control: To choose the CEC/IR extend function by manual (Need to switch two IR Adapter on IR status).
- Compatible with HDMI Switcher, can control 12 devices at most(1 Emitter controls 1 device).
- WIRELESS THROUGH WALLS AND CEILINGS - Wireless solution for transmitting the signal from your remote control through walls and ceilings. An open range of 150 meters and 10 to 20 meters through walls and ceilings
- REMOTE CONTROL - Operating the HDD recorder, Sky box, satellite decoder or stereo system from another room in the house such as a bedroom has never been easier with this infrared extender. Not suitable for sending audio / video signals
- YOUR OWN REMOTES - Use your own remote controls to control your devices. This IR extender is guaranteed to work with all remote controls
- NO INSTALLATION OR SOFTWARE - No installation or additional software is required to use the Marmitek Powermid XL. This IR transmitter is plug & play and you can immediately enjoy the convenience
- COMPATIBLE - functionality with all digital TV decoders guaranteed including Sky box. The maximum range is 25 meters
- Connect and place the IR receiver by your TV so that it can receive your remote control signal
- Connect and place the IR TX/Transmitter facing the window of your AV device so that it can receive your remote control signal
- Manually set both CEC/IR switches to the IR function for correct operation
- Power Free: No Power Adapter Necessary (Uses power over HDMI from HDMI source unit)
- It is important to ensure that the IR transmitter is facing the original IR receiver window on the device being controlled
- An ideal solution for those who want to conceal their A/V components equipment inside a entertainment system cabinet or closet for a clean, stylish look
- IR Repeater system allows you to Control home theater components located behind cabinet doors
- Included with the system is - IR Receiver (2 inches by 1/2 Inch); Hidden IR Repeater Controller (3 1/2 Inches by 2 Inches); 2 dual IR emitters blaster
- Convenient IR confirmation LED with dual frequency to support infrared signals from a wider range of IR remote control such as cable box setup box STB; Support up to six emitter output connections
- Additional IR emitter blaster available for purchase at ASIN: B017LQAKXW; If you need to extend the IR blaster emitter cable, you can use a 3.5mm stereo audio extension cable and a 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter at one end and a 3.5mm to 2.5mm adapter at the other end
- CONTROL UP TO 4 AV DEVICES: The One For All remote control extender is the perfect solution for controlling your infrared AV devices inside a closed cabinet.
- TIDY LOOK: Its clever design features a smart cable management system. Give your living room a tidy look with all your devices out of sight.
- PLUG & PLAY: Simple to set-up and use, instructions included.
- USB POWERED: No extra Power Plug needed, just connect to your AV Equipment.
- DISCOVER ONE FOR ALL: We are the specialist in Audio-Video accessories with more than 20 years of experience.
- IR REMOTE CONTROL cable extends the signal to a video source like a Blu-ray player so it can be controlled from your TV; Red LED in IR Receiver bulb verifies the signal transmission
- HOME THEATER ACCESSORY repeats the IR signal to a DVD player, STB box, Receiver or other A/V source with an IR sensor; Route the infrared remote control extender cable out of sight with a wall mounted TV; Install the IR Transmitter end in a concealed equipment closet to hide a CATV box and control it remotely
- SIMPLE INSTALLATION of this lightweight IR cable; Locate the IR Blaster near the source sensor to repeat the signal to the source; Place the IR Receiver in a convenient location with line of sight of your hand-held remote; IR Tx and Rx cables have adhesive circles on the back for mounting
- USB POWERED IR extension cable has an integrated 6 foot Y-cable to receive 5V USB power; USB cable on the IR remote extender cable connects to a TV USB power port or to a USB wall charger
- UNIVERSAL COMPATIBILITY of IR extender cable with most A/V equipment with infrared sensors (not RF); 30 degree IR Receiver angle provides plenty of leeway to get the right angle with your remote
- This Infrared Repeater Cable applies to all remote control devices from 38 to 56 khz
- IR Repeater Extension controls Audio Video Components in Entertainment Cabinets or Equipment Closets using Existing IR Remote Controls
- Come with adhesive backing sticks directly onto different devices
- 1 Receiver, 1 Emitter, Connects to USB port on TV or home theater device for power
- Total Length: 3 feet - 1 meter
Last update on 24 June 2021 - 6:23. Product price & availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price & availability information displayed on the Amazon.co.uk website at the time of purchase will apply.