If you have your audio-visual equipment connected so that you can watch it from a different room, then you are going to be faced with the dilemma of how to control it. After all, you probably don’t want to have to get up to go to the room that the equipment is actually in, simply to pause, rewind, change channel or set a program to record.
If you have this dilemma, we can suggest three options…
- Use the facilty built-in to whatever method you have chosen to send the audio-visual signal between rooms to send a remote control signal in the opposite direction.
- Use your equipment’s existing remote controls (or a universal remote control) with a remote control extender
- Use a smartphone or tablet as a remote control (rather than your equipment’s existing remote controls or a universal remote control)
Is the solution staring you in the face?
The first thing you should check is whether the method you have chosen to send audio-visual signals between rooms is capable of sending an infra-red control signal in the opposite direction. Many audio and video sender solutions have this facility. If yours does then you can probably stop reading this article now and reach for your audio-video sender’s instruction manual!
Using a remote control extender to control audio visual equipment that is in a different room
Remote control extenders are devices which are capable of receiving an infra-red signal from a remote control and re-transmitting that signal somewhere else. These devices are sometimes referred to as infra-red extenders.
The anatomy of a remote control extender
Remote control extenders generally consist of three main elements:
- An infra-red receiver – which receives the signal from your remote control.
- One or more infra-red emitters – which re-transmit the signal from your remote control to the device(s) you want to control.
- Some electronics – which process the signal received by infra-red receiver and transmit it to the infra-red emitter(s).
How these three elements are packaged varies between different products – largely depending on the application for which they were primarily designed.
Obviously you can’t point your remote control at your audio-visual equipment (because it is in a different room!) so you should look at remote control extenders which allow for separation of the infra-red receiver from the other elements. This separation can be achieved either by installing a cable between your rooms or by using a ‘wireless’ solution.
A word of caution about remote control extenders
One of the beauties of remote control extenders is their simplicity. There is no programming to do, so they are pretty much as close to ‘plug-and-play’ as electronic devices get. All they do is receive an infra-red signal and then recreate it somewhere else. However, this simplicity can cause problems in some situations. For example, if you have two identical devices (such as two Sky boxes) in a stack of audio-visual equipment where both can ‘see’ the output of a single remote control extender’s IR emitters then there is no way of controlling them independently. If you send a signal via your remote control extender that one of the devices recognises then they will both recognise it and respond accordingly, just as they would if you pointed your remote control directly at your stack of equipment.
Bestselling remote control extenders
- OWN REMOTE CONTROL - Control your Apple TV, TV decoder or other devices behind the (smart) TV with your own remote control.
- INVISIBLE - With the exception of the very small infrared receiver, the entire extension set can be placed completely out of sight.
- PLUG & PLAY - Very easy and quick installation due to the latest infrared technology (infrared blaster LED emitter). All AV devices in the same cabinet can be operated.
- COMPATIBLE - Compatible with almost all brands and models and suitable for new IR code formats that are used in many new HD devices, digital TV decoders and universal remote controls.
- NO POWER ADAPTER REQUIRED - input via USB output TV.
- IR remote control cable extends the signal to a video source like a Blu-ray player, DVD player, STB box, AV receiver or other A/V source with an infrared sensor so it can be controlled from your HDTV
- Simple installation IR Repeater cable allows you to control home theater components located behind closet cabinet doors
- Place the IR emitter blaster near the source sensor to repeat the signal to the source; Place the IR Receiver in a convenient location with line of sight of your hand-held remote; IR Tx and Rx cables have adhesive circles on the back for mounting
- USB powered IR extension cable has an integrated 6 foot Y-cable to receive 5V USB power; Connect to an HDTV USB port or to a USB wall charger power supply (sold separately)
- Compatible with most A/V equipment with infrared sensors (not RF)
- IR REMOTE CONTROL cable extends the signal to a video source like a Blu-ray player so it can be controlled from your TV; Red LED in IR Receiver bulb verifies the signal transmission
- HOME THEATER ACCESSORY repeats the IR signal to a DVD player, STB box, Receiver or other A/V source with an IR sensor; Route the infrared remote control extender cable out of sight with a wall mounted TV; Install the IR Transmitter end in a concealed equipment closet to hide a CATV box and control it remotely
- SIMPLE INSTALLATION of this lightweight IR cable; Locate the IR Blaster near the source sensor to repeat the signal to the source; Place the IR Receiver in a convenient location with line of sight of your hand-held remote; IR Tx and Rx cables have adhesive circles on the back for mounting
- USB POWERED IR extension cable has an integrated 6 foot Y-cable to receive 5V USB power; USB cable on the IR remote extender cable connects to a TV USB power port or to a USB wall charger
- UNIVERSAL COMPATIBILITY of IR extender cable with most A/V equipment with infrared sensors (not RF); 30 degree IR Receiver angle provides plenty of leeway to get the right angle with your remote
- [Infrared Remote Extender Cable] Extends the Signal to Your Video Source, Hidden IR Repeater 1 Receiver 4 Emitters Infrared Remote Control Kit Control Your TV or Player, Like Adjusting the Volume.
- [IR Extender Kit] This IR Repeater System Kit Allow You to Control Your Home Theater Device/Components Which Are Kept Behind Closet Doors or in a Closed Cabinet.
- [1 Receiver 4 Emitters] Receiver: with a Convenient IR Confirmation LED and Pick up the Signal from the Remote Controller; Emitter: Send the Signal to the A/ V Components
- [Broad Compatibility] Be Compatible with Amplifier, Cable Box, Stereo Receiver, Satellite TV Receiver, CD Player, DVD Player, Blu-ray Player or Any Other Components Which Is Controlled by IR Signal.
- [Detail Information] 5V USB AC Power Supply; 34- 60 kHz Operating Range; Cable length: 2m (Power cord length) 2m (Black and white line length) 1m (Launch line length). 18 Months Warranty Provided.
- WIRELESS THROUGH WALLS AND CEILINGS - Wireless solution for transmitting the signal from your remote control through walls and ceilings. An open range of 150 meters and 10 to 20 meters through walls and ceilings
- REMOTE CONTROL - Operating the HDD recorder, Sky box, satellite decoder or stereo system from another room in the house such as a bedroom has never been easier with this infrared extender. Not suitable for sending audio / video signals
- YOUR OWN REMOTES - Use your own remote controls to control your devices. This IR extender is guaranteed to work with all remote controls
- NO INSTALLATION OR SOFTWARE - No installation or additional software is required to use the Marmitek Powermid XL. This IR transmitter is plug & play and you can immediately enjoy the convenience
- COMPATIBLE - functionality with all digital TV decoders guaranteed including Sky box. The maximum range is 25 meters
- ★ PLUG AND PLAY – Our IR extender cable is easy to install and use. Just plug the 3.5mm jack into an IR input port of the device.
- ★ UNIVERSAL COMPATIBILITY – Suitable for a broad range of 38-56kHz infrared devices with an IR input port and remote control such as AV equipment and cable STB boxes.
- ★ 10FT(3m) CABLE – 3M Long Cable with 3.5mm plug allows you to extend the signal receiver to a suitable position.
- ★ CLEAN LOOK: Our IR Repeater system is ideal for those who want to conceal their A/V component equipment inside a closet or cabinet for a clean, stylish look.
- ★ FLEXIBLE + RISK-FREE PURCHASE – You can now control your home theater, cable boxes, etc. from behind the cabinet, closet or even the other room. If for any reason, you are not 100% satisfied with the product, you can send it back to us, and we will refund your money! DON’T CHECK THE NEXT LISTING! JUST ORDER NOW!!!
- This Infrared Repeater Cable applies to all remote control devices from 38 to 56 khz
- IR Repeater Extension controls Audio Video Components in Entertainment Cabinets or Equipment Closets using Existing IR Remote Controls
- Come with adhesive backing sticks directly onto different devices
- 1 Receiver, 1 Emitter, Connects to USB port on TV or home theater device for power
- Total Length: 3 feet - 1 meter
- CONTROL UP TO 4 AV DEVICES: The One For All remote control extender is the perfect solution for controlling your infrared AV devices inside a closed cabinet.
- TIDY LOOK: Its clever design features a smart cable management system. Give your living room a tidy look with all your devices out of sight.
- PLUG & PLAY: Simple to set-up and use, instructions included.
- USB POWERED: No extra Power Plug needed, just connect to your AV Equipment.
- DISCOVER ONE FOR ALL: We are the specialist in Audio-Video accessories with more than 20 years of experience.
- 3.5mm MONO Jack to 3.5mm MONO Socket Audio Extension Cable Lead For Mono Microphones / Headphones / Headsets / Speakers / Digital Cameras / IR Infrared Sensor Receiver & Music Instruments / Mini 1/8 2 pin Conector Male to Female Extender
- Mono Plug (3.5mm) to MONO Socket (3.5mm)
- Pure copper conductors
- Gold Plated
- Available in 0.5m, 1m, 1.2m, 2m, 3m
- An ideal solution for those who want to conceal their A/V components equipment inside a entertainment system cabinet or closet for a clean, stylish look
- IR Repeater system allows you to Control home theater components located behind cabinet doors
- Included with the system is - IR Receiver (2 inches by 1/2 Inch); Hidden IR Repeater Controller (3 1/2 Inches by 2 Inches); 2 dual IR emitters blaster
- Convenient IR confirmation LED with dual frequency to support infrared signals from a wider range of IR remote control such as cable box setup box STB; Support up to six emitter output connections
- Additional IR emitter blaster available for purchase at ASIN: B017LQAKXW; If you need to extend the IR blaster emitter cable, you can use a 3.5mm stereo audio extension cable and a 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter at one end and a 3.5mm to 2.5mm adapter at the other end
Last update on 4 August 2021 - 8:44. Product price & availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price & availability information displayed on the Amazon.co.uk website at the time of purchase will apply.